30 December 2008

Jinx

We tend to the melodramatic introspection over here around this time of year -- all this re-evaluating of actions and priorities. I am reluctant to admit we are really that cliche, but there it is. We are self help 101.

So this year, we began to wonder about the internet. Have we allowed this 'stream' of information to become a flood? Are we really getting out of it what we think? And, in short, is this magic box with all its instant and its answers a joy? Or just noise?

Which led us to -- with no small amount of trepidation -- has the time come to go analog? (Cue dramatic bum, bum, BUM)

And then, with the weight of these wonderings hanging in the air, we left. And went to our neighbors' cocktail party. (You know, what else to do when you are getting pretentious, or curious, or dangerous, or whatever it is?) Only, when we came home, something very important had changed.

Our computer...died.

And we are left with our twinges of guilt: Did it hear us? Did we make it feel so unloved that it just skulked away?

Oh, sweet computer, come back. Come baaaaack!!!!! (in extra-dramatic slo-mo style)

(I will don trench coat and boom box if I need to, my sweet, sweet machine.)

The good news here is that it will come back. We'll be taking it in the first of the year for some extensive TLC. The bad news is it won't be well enough to come home for a while.

So it appears I will be on a blog vacation. But I can post at work, I guess (I suggest coyly, like I've never posted from work before), so I'll see you next week.

Happy New Year everyone!

And don't forget to kiss your computer. Tell it how much you love it.

No comments: