04 November 2008

Moments: The Small Kind

It may be true that a person is defined by the size of his dreams. But it is equally true, I think, that his life is nonetheless measured by small moments. The Monday - Fridays, birthdays, anniversaries, lost teeth, skinned knees, pots of tea, bowls of soup. The certainty of these moments offers comfort. And since it is to all of those moments and that sort of comfort I dedicate this blog, I wanted to share these pictures with you.




And this one, my favorite:


(My heart screams when I see these worn-out shoes. And I can't help but think "Yes. This is the man. The one I want to have work for me." You know? Soles like that make me think he really will.)

They were all taken by Callie Shell during the primaries. She has a wonderful eye for the small and the quiet. There are several others, of course, and all worth a look. On this site she's included brief captions about how and when each picture was taken, making the experience of viewing that much richer.

But these just speak to me. With or without context. Maybe a little because I'm curious about the lives of people with very big dreams. Maybe because I have a voyeur's hunger to know what they're really like when the spotlights are turned away.

Or maybe it's just that I'm tickled to discover their small moments look very much like my own.

No comments: