06 November 2008

The Bridge To Somewhere

I don’t quite know why, but this morning I woke up thinking about Shel Silverstein. I thought today would be just the day to share a silly little poem with everyone. But I’ve been flipping through the pages of A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends all morning, and I haven’t found a silly poem yet.

So I have decided two things:
  1. This week will be Shel Silverstein week over here on odd pear. The poems I pick will relate to what's actually going on in my life, but the words will be all Shel's.

  2. I hadn’t intended to be political today, but sometimes things just find you. So I hope you are either equally inspired by Tuesday’s results or feeling particularly gracious. In both cases, thank you for indulging me.
I dedicate this first entry to all the grassroots efforts spawned or invigorated by Obama’s candidacy. We are not at the finish line, but rather the beginning.
This Bridge

This bridge will only take you halfway there
To those mysterious lands you long to see:
Through gypsy camps and swirling Arab fairs
And moonlit woods where unicorns run free.
So come and walk awhile with me and share
The twisting trails and wondrous worlds I’ve known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there –
The last few steps you’ll have to take alone.
Obama can only do so much by himself. We all have to take our own steps to make it happen.

Change the world? Yes we can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats lovely -- what a great idea. I think silverstein's poetry often gets shrugged off as silly, but its actually perfectly relevant.