22 January 2009

A List Of New Things

In this spirit of inspiration, of newness and hope, I have come up with my list. Not resolutions, exactly -- more things I want to do this year, new things I have yearned for and never tried. So, why not now?

Here we go, 2009: bright, shiny things we will do together -- in no particular order -- presented in a list format for convenient checking off of items:
  • Make/can pickled veggies
    (carrots or asparagus or green beans will do)
  • Use plants to dye yarn
  • Spin a skein of yarn
  • Knit something up according to whim, not a pattern
  • Commute my 30-mile round trip to work by bike
  • Take pictures with actual film
  • Buy a Holga
  • Nurture seedlings
  • Plant a garden
  • Spend a Tuesday (or several) weeding and potlucking over at
    Soil Born Farms
    (which is exactly the place I’ve dreamed of; if it were in any other city, I’d be jealous. Luckily, it’s here; so I need to haul my ass over there. Often.)
  • Sew a dress
  • Make a quilt
  • Transform old clothes into new clothes
  • Bake bread
  • Bake a pumpkin pie from scratch (including the pumpkin)
  • Have a donut over at Dynamo
  • Make jam
  • Organize the “craft room”
  • Be ok calling said craft room my studio
    (it sounds so important and lofty that way)
  • Call in sick when I am sick, and stay home knitting socks instead
  • Read books (one a week, say)
  • Make my big announcements -- like the reading blog Rick and I started -- in a more proper and ! way than sticking them, anonymously, in a list format
  • Visit Twin Girls Farms
    (they make the Platonic ideal of oranges – so perfect!)
  • Spend an afternoon at the ocean
  • Go somewhere by train
    (alright, I have done this before, but not for a long, long time)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, the reading blog is just about the coolest idea ever. now that my life is consumed by a little slobbery (and sweet!) baby, I can read vicariously with you. I spent the last 8 years reading at least one book every week (oh, school), and now I haven't finished a single one in months...

Anonymous said...

Great list :) There are quite a few things on it I'd like to do myself in 2009.
There is something so satisfying about using film! I hope you give it a go. I'm having the best time with my holga & I love the unpredictable results. I'll keep an eye out on flickr :)