08 January 2009

Sweet Hearts

I woke up thinking about hearts this morning. Um, the doodled kind -- not the actual.

I have a ridiculous love for them.

And I use the word ridiculous because I am 31 years old. And by now I should have given up doodling little hearts everywhere.

You'd think so, at least.

But I've still got a lot of hearts left in me, it seems.

*****

I had a friend in grade school who used to draw her hearts humps first. You know, with a sideways three:

followed by two straight lines that meet in a V:

I always thought they looked funny with those inevitable hard points at their sides where the parts intersect. (Ah me. Full of such strong aesthetic judgments at such a young age.)

I tended to make my hearts one half at a time:

Clearly 'lumpy' didn't bother me though.

When I was feeling bold, I would make them in a continuous loop, from center point to center point:

Also, because I am a child of the '80s, I made a lot of these:
Note the swell light reflection spot up there.

(And no, no matter how hard I try, I can't see one of these heart ballons without humming a few bars of 99 Luftballoons.)

Now I like the scribble-y kind best:


*****

What about you? What are your doodling memories?

No comments: