03 December 2008

Vistas

I love road trips. I love the long hours in the car with nothing but good company, gas-station snacks, and the view.

Is it strange to say it quite that way? Maybe. So let's be clear: I don't enjoy the knee cramps, the 'saddle sores,' or the traffic. Just the long aimless hours to simply be. To talk about stuff, nothing, and everything. Or just be quiet and look.

I am always struck by how different each state is. How they are each almost entire countries of their own. There may be a bit of blending at the edges, but each has its own landscape, character, feel.

I have driven cross country four or five times. Never the northernmost or southernmost routes, but that is an oversight I hope to correct. Someday. I have taken the train across, round trip. And, in some distant future, I hope to do it by bike. Even if only one direction.

I have flown too, of course. But it's never the same. I never arrive at my destination feeling like I've actually gone anywhere. Only that I'm seeing new parts of the town where I live. Visiting the friends that live on the fringes of the city limits.

All this to say: the view from the car on our trip to Oregon last week was amazing, as always. And it felt like an end in itself. A distinct, complete, and happy part of the entire break.

Her majesty the mountain looked radiant as ever on our way up.

towering over the freeway

And downright regal on our way back.

swoop


shasta sky

Lest I seem mountain obsessed, the clouds put on a pretty impressive show too.

wisps

gold farm

Especially at night.

fire and water

No comments: