24 October 2008

Wishing, A Short Melodrama

wishing

Heart (to herself, wistfully): Hello, sweet northwest. I am dreaming especially of you. I am picturing the two of us together, drinking tea and laughing over old times. Me in my cute skirts of patchworked quilter’s cotton and brightly-colored tights. Together, we will devour books, think in poetry, learn to belly dance. You will teach me how to tend a garden. And be very, very patient with me while I fumble around at becoming an artist. And we won't mind so much that we don't make very much money working for the greengrocer, because we will be thoroughly, happily content. Everything will be beautiful, and nothing will hurt.

Won't you be like that for me? If I come back to you? Despsite our rocky first try?

Unseen Narrator: Heart and Head are in the middle of a geographic tug-of-war. Heart is feeling emotionally overwrought, but here's what Head thinks:

Head (with calm assurance): Moving will not spit you out on the other side, completely transformed. Besides, everything you want is already here. But you have to do more than just dream. And you have to do more than say yes.

You have to actually make it happen.

Unseen Narrator: Be the change? I don't know. It seems predictable somehow. And deceptively simple. Will Heart succumb to Head's prosaic plea?

Stay tuned to find out.

No comments: