12 October 2008

Simple Stars, A Pattern


satellite

I submit for your crocheting pleasure my super-easy, super-quick simple star recipe.

And just how -- you may wonder -- am I so certain about the super-easy part? Well, because I am a novice with the crochet hook. And even I can make them.

Which reminds me...

To all the experienced crocheters out there: my apologies. In advance. I am new to this game. And, to make things worse, I am more of a knitter to boot. But I have tried not to commit (too many) sins against the laws of crochet. And, if you find any, I hope will you smile fondly in the direction of the newbie. Also, I hope that you will email me. So that I will know. So that I may correct.

Alright. Now that all disclaimers are stated, I hope the making of these stars offers up something pleasant for all of you -- at every skill level.

Enjoy!

* * *

yarn: Malabrigo worsted (beige)
crochet hook: G7 (4.5 mm)

I eked 25 stars out of one skein (216 yards), so a little yarn will go a very long way here. This would be a great project for scraps!

gauge: Whichever makes you happy. This is one of the beautiful things about projects no one is going to wear. My finished stars measure 4 inches tall and 3.5-4 inches across, and for my purposes they are the perfect size.

Note: I have written the turning chains into the pattern, so no extra chaining at the start of rounds is necessary.

round 1: chain 3, slip stitch into first chain to join in round.

round 2: (chain 1), single crochet 4 times through center, slip stitch into (chain 1) to join round -- 5 stitches.

round 3: (chain 1), 1 single crochet in 1st stitch, *2 single crochet in next stitch*, rep instructions between * and * 3 more times, slip stitch into (chain 1) to join round -- 10 stitches.

round 4: chain 5, single crochet into 2nd stitch, chain 5, single crochet into 4th stitch. Repeat in pattern, making the single crochet into the 6th, 8th, and 10th stitches.

round 5: *chain 2, make 3 double crochet through the loop, chain 3, make 4 double crochet through the loop, slip stitch into single crochet from round below*. Repeat instructions between * and * 4 more times.

Finishing (See that! I didn't lie about the super-quick part either.): Weave in ends. Block lightly, if desired. Festoon house, cards, packages, and possibly even your person (earrings? pasties?).

* * *

p.s. Sometime this week I will post the PDF for easy printing. Look for the link to appear in the sidebar (and maybe even on Ravelry) soon.

3 comments:

strikk handknits said...

very cute. i'm with you though, more of a knitter than a crochet-er, but maybe i'll give this one a try ;-) thank you for the pattern (and inspiration).

Erin said...

yay! i hope you have fun with it.

sukigirl said...

Cute Star! Thanks for the pattern!
I think one of the joys of crochet is that the rules were made to be broken.I know that's the reason that I enjoy it so much.
cheers suki