20 June 2008

Deep Breath. Jump In.

Hi. This is me, the creator of odd pear.

Beginnings tend to make me clammy. I've spent some time rehearsing a breezy, buoyant "hey there!" to you, but it seems I've lost it just as the moment for hellos has arrived. Which, I guess, is this moment right here. I've been dreaming and wondering about odd pear for a while now. And I've been waiting for just that right omen to get it all started. You know? Some event to tell me, unequivocally, "Now is the time."

But I think, instead of all that, I will simply begin. Because I would rather live a life chock-full of small moments than one punctuated with a handful of big occasions. And because I am haunted by Lillian Hellman's prosaic, two-word dictum: writers write.

Ok. I get it.

What is it that I'm looking for? I would like to learn to tell stories well. I would like to live more intentionally, more thoughtfully. I would like to remember to go slow. I would like to grow vegetables and pink peonies. I would like to craft things with my own hands. I would like to train my eyes to the small special that is everywhere. And I would like to have a place to put it all.

Those are my hopes for odd pear, and here is my plan:
  1. Write (mostly) daily.
  2. Be intrepid enough to hit 'publish post.'
If you're out there (is anyone out there? will anyone ever be out there?), welcome. Thanks for popping in. Thanks for saying yes.

big dreams and butterflies,
Erin

2 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Hey, congrats! You hit publish.

Welcome to blogging. Have fun.

Marta Nunes said...

hi erin...
accidentally i discover this blog, the odd pear, your blog and i love it, its why i'm doing my comment in your 1st post... to say to you... jump allways...